Five Types of Weight Training Exercises
If you want to get started on weight training – either to build your overall strength or to prep for a competition – Oxygen Plus (O+) can help. Here are five popular types of weight training exercises for beginners and experts alike.
- Dumbbell Exercises - A low-cost, versatile way to work those core and upper body muscles at home or at the gym, dumbbells come in various weights to help you build up your strength. Dumbbells can be used to work out your chest, abs, back, biceps, triceps, shoulders, legs and more.
- Ball Exercises - Using a weight training ball is another affordable way to workout at home or at the gym. Fitness balls are an especially popular choice for targeting your core muscles, especially your abs. They can also be used for building strength in the chest, arms, back, shoulders and legs.
- Exercise Machines - If you have a gym membership, there's no safer way to work out your whole body than with machines. Build strength by targeting specific muscles in a safe, controlled manner to reduce the risk of injury. These machines are ideal for beginners, the elderly or those with injuries.
- Barbell Exercises - The barbell isn't for everyone, but it is a top-notch choice for anyone looking to target several groups of muscles at once. For that reason, barbells are a popular choice for hard-hitting weight trainers who want to encourage the muscles to grow together at the same pace.
- Band Exercises - Add a band to your home gym or workout bag if you want a super-affordable way to gently build muscles. Often recommended in rehab programs, these bands can also be used to effectively help you build up your abs, chest, arms and back. You can also use them to help you stretch.